Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ahoy! Oysters!


Wow. Laura Avery, Market Supervisor of the Santa Monica Farmers' Markets, I salute thee. The Santa Monica Market has kicked it up a notch. While poking around the market today browsing about for interesting things for a few clients, I passed by a strange vendor. My first thought, you must be new, came just before I noticed his three metal bins on his table. And what IS that you have there?

Clams! Mussels! Oysters! Abalone! Oh my!

The vendor was busy getting interviewed for KCRW's' Good Food which will air this Saturday at 11am, but that didn't stop me from gasping and practically hugging the nearest onlooker. We're talking sustainably harvested, eco-friendly 100% California genuine farm-raised shellfish from Carlsbad at OUR local market. Amazing!

And with all the depressing news about how aqua-farming is hurting our oceans and coastline ecosystems, sustainably minded aqua farms are they way to safely enjoy these delectable goodies.

I picked up a dozen Luna Oysters which were harvested just a day ago
for a mere $8.
Carlsbad Aquafarm will be at the Santa Monica Wednesday market each week. Run oyster lovers, run!

No comments: